Monday, May 6, 2024

It wasn't just U of Utah

 I mentioned in the previous post ("Ah, Yes, those reflections . . ." 4/25/24) that 'our display' was used at the University of Utah for a lot of their early computer graphics work, never mind that they didn't mention it for their IEEE Milestone award.

And for the last session of the AMW 50 meeting, Alvy Ray Smith, co-founder of Pixar, showed up to describe his great book, Pixel, and how the Pixar company came into being.   Brian Berg, the AMW chair, and the head of the IEEE Milestone selection and presentation committee, introduced Smith.   

Berg said, however, that: "Smith was a key member of the U of Utah team".   Smith promptly corrected him to say, "No, I never worked there.  Yes, I visited, and I worked with them, but I was at the New York Institute of Technology for years (actually 1975-1979).   This followed his PhD at Stanford, and time at XeroxPARC.   Recall as shown in the plaque at the last post, that the award for U of Utah was for 1965-1978 work.

The excitement for me was the attached picture that Alvy Ray displayed for the AMW talk:


The HP 1310A succeeded the HP 1300A, circa 1971 or so, in a project led by John Riggen.  I had moved on to start the Logic Analyzer Operation.

It is described in the HP Computer Museum (Australia) at the following link:

https://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=756

The original HP 1300A was a 14" diagonal screen; the HP 1310A was 19" diagonal.  Selling price went up from $1,900 to $3,000.   The story for the original HP 1300A development and technology is best told in the "Inside Story of the HP 1300A X-Y Display":

https://www.hpmemoryproject.org/timeline/writings/hp1300a_00.htm

By way of postscript, the 17,769 large-screen displays cited in the Medal of Defiance in that article included all the large-screen versions, including the 1300, 1302, 1308, 1309, 1310A, and 1310B.  And the users--including Dr. Denton Cooley for the first true artificial heart transplant--became world-famous (the article mistakenly ascribes the medical 'first' to Dr. Norman DeBakey at Stanford.  Here's the 50th anniversary picture for Cooley's work, with the eight-channel HP 1308A proudly displayed:


I no longer have a copy of the video for the Jane Pauley Today Show.    Who knows, might get it someday.




No comments:

Post a Comment