Authors often wonder--does anyone read this stuff? Page-view counters on each of my blogs give some indication, and generally they are pretty slow-moving tickers. Yes, there was a time when I fingered Mark Hurd and shared the nickname he'd been given by HP employees (not very charitably), and someone back East picked it up, and I got 40,000 page views for my HP blog within ten days. But that kind of thing is rare unless you are a Tik-Tok influencer (and God help me to avoid that).
But this blog was started back when Gifford Pinchot's book, Intrapreneuring, experienced a bit of resurgence. So there was a swarm--some 27 posts--in 2013, partially inspired by a Stanford Graduate Business school gig, and then a joint Harvard/HP gig, Good stuff, I thought at the time, and I briefly entertained the thought of doing a book, and then wisdom (or ennui) overtook me.
I did follow up with ten more posts over the next two years, and then kept still until we had another new company underway, and it seemed fair to post a few more (8 in 2024). And then one paltry effort this year to date. So, 46 posts in thirteen years, not exactly a trove. The interesting thing for me is that readership was equally modest for twelve years, and then in the past fifteen months (really in the past three months) someone must have found this stuff and is reading it. At least that's what the numbers say.
There were 6,560 page-views from inception through the end of March 2024, about 500 per year. And in the past fifteen months, another 3,281 page-views, which ups the readership by 500%. And this past month has recorded 1,300 views. Don't know who, but someone is reading it. Maybe they're writing the book I once intended?
Here's a graph of several blogs I maintain.

No comments:
Post a Comment