Friday, May 15, 2026

Aidan continues to interview

 Surprise, surprise.   When Aidan McCullen interviewed me a few months ago, he was enthused to mention that an upcoming guest for his program was Bruce Vojak.  I 'knew the name' but couldn't place it at the time.   Wednesday this week I got a note from Bruce, sort of a "blanket mailer" invitation to have a consulting meeting with him for 30 minutes.   Still unclear on whether we'd met, I went to the Web and found an interview that Aidan had done on May 7, for 2 hours 24 min.

I thought, "why not" and opened and began to watch the YouTube interview.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XxoUNvkj4

And, as it turned ouit, at 15:02 in the video, my name came up, and the two of them chatted about some of my work for two and a half minutes.  Seeing Vojak, and hearing his recall of my COPD work, triggered the thought--"I know this guy".

Well, it turns out that we'd met, just once, for maybe 5 minutes, in January 2010.   Bruce was a colleague of Ray Price at U of Illinois, and when Ray and I gave a talk about our HP book at UIUC, he introduced me to Bruce briefly.   The sequel was that Ray and Bruce, along with colleague Abbie Griffin, did a great book, "Serial Innovators" and Ray was able to insert several anecdotes about career steps of mine.    The additional sequel is that Bruce and I never met again, until today on Zoom, nor did I ever meet Abbie.  Pity.

Well, we played "catch-up" or, rather, intro'd ourselves to each other.  We have lots in common, and I look forward to some solid time together.   I think he felt the same, so I'll keep you posted

No comments:

Post a Comment